11.22.2009

Update on best albums of '09

As the end of 2009 approaches quickly, there are a few albums I've had to add to my top 10 list (well, the 9 on the list).

While I anticipated Brand New's Daisy to easily be one of the top 10 albums of the year, I'm still waiting for it to sink in with me. As of right now, it's hard for me to put it up there, but I'm still hoping after many listens that I'm able to truly appreciate this album.

Another album I recently fell in love with is Hospice by The Antlers. I had read multiple reviews which praise this album, though this is not the sole reason for me to add it to my list. Over the last week I've had this album on repeat, and I've discovered something new each listen - definitely one of the top 5 (as of today) of '09 in my opinion.

I was pleasantly surprised when Russian Circles released their third album late this year, and I have loved every moment of Geneva. There is no doubt that this release will be in my top 10, though it will be difficult deciding on where it ranks in my book.

A possible dark horse on my list of 2009 is from a local band - The Summer Pledge. The easiest way to describe their first full length album, You are you, would be to categorize them as instrumental/experimental/indie. The majority of the album is sans vocals, there are several songs which incorporate them - though they still remain second to the melodies created by the guitars and percussion. The ethereal voice coming in and out of the tracks gives the album a much different feel - one that reminded me of The Appleseed Cast's Sagarmatha.

http://www.gimmesound.com/thesummerpledge/

I had been anticipating a full length release from Minus the Bear - especially after being addicted to the single "Into the Mirror", though it appears this album will not be available until 2010. So for now, it seems that my list is starting to solidify, except for the even more difficult task of organizing and ranking these albums...whoa is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment